The history of Methodism in Belleville began with the first Christian settlers in the wilderness of Van Buren Twp., which led to the organization of the M.C. Society in 1840. Church services were first held in the schoolhouse which stood at Roys St. & Charles St. About 1850 the deeds to two vacant lots at Roys & Church streets were given to the church. Later the school was moved and the church bought the lot where the school had stood.
The first church was a white clapboard building facing Roys St. This church served the community until the beginning of the twentieth century, when it was sold and moved to the present location of Grace Baptist Church. The second church, a sturdy brick structure facing Charles St, was built in 1890. Our present church was built in 1958. The present education building was added in 1963.
The bronze bell which hangs in the tower on the corner of Roys & Charles Streets., was cast in 1865 and has been a part of all three churches.
In 1990, the Belleville First United Methodist Church celebrated its 150th year of mission and service to the community. The First United Methodist Church is the oldest continuing congregation in Belleville. It was established five years before the first post office and eight years before the village plat was recorded.
Our education and music programs provide significant opportunities for the enrichment of the entire congregation. The United Methodist Women and United Methodist Men offer opportunities for growth and fellowship. Our church is alive and well as it continues to witness in the name of Jesus Christ to the community whose beginnings we share.